Kreische Brewery & Monument Hill State Historic Sites Back to Internships
Library & Archives Internship
Join the team and learn the ropes of museum and heritage management at one of the premier archeological sites of the Texas Historical Commission. We are now accepting applications for the Spring of 2024.
Kreische Brewery State Historic Site interprets the stories of German immigration to Texas and 19th century Texas industry. The Site’s key points-of-interest include the historic Kreische House and ruins of the Kreische Brewery. Monument Hill State Historic Site interprets the Republic of Texas era through the monument and tomb of soldiers killed during the Dawson and Mier Expeditions. The Sites also include picnic areas, hiking trails, and scenic vistas.
The sites are managed by the Texas Historical Commission. This internship is funded by the Sites’ non-profit partner, the Friends of Kreische Brewery & Monument Hill State Historic Sites.
Work Location: Kreische Brewery & Monument Hill State Historic Sites; 414 State Loop 92, La Grange, TX 78945
Supervisor(s): Sites Manager Marsha Hendrix and Assistant Sites Manager Gavin Miculka
Semester: Spring 2024
Duration: 10-12 weeks; start and end dates are flexible
Hours/week: approx. 24hours/week; hours are flexible to accommodate student schedule, fulfil course requirements, and accomplish varying internship goals
How to Apply: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Application Closing Date: Until filled
Under the direction of sites management, the intern will primarily help reestablish the Sites’ reference library and archives for improved access and usability by staff, volunteers, and community members. The small reference library includes published reference books, self-published family and community histories, physical and digital copies of historic documents, physical and digital photographs, field notes, and documents pertaining to the sites’ institutional history and planning. The sites also maintain a productive partnership with Texas Historical Commission’s Curatorial Facility for Artifact Research which houses the sites’ archaeological and archival collection.
Key internship duties include:
Library & Archives (approx. 80%)
• Assessing, inventorying, and cataloguing the sites’ collection of physical and digital reference materials using Re:Discovery, the agency’s collection management software
• Digitizing select library and archival materials as identified by sites staff
• Directing the relocation, long-term storage, and/or disposal of non-contributing library materials according to best practices
• Identifying and researching additional resources to incorporate into the sites’ research library Special Project (as time allows)
• Collaborate with sites staff and other THC staff to digitize and analyze select archival resources at THC’s Curatorial Facility for Artifact Research in Austin
Public Programs & Visitor Services (approx. 20%)
• Supporting visitors center operations including accepting admissions, providing orientations, and processing retail sales
• Supporting special events and interpretive programs
• Current college student (undergraduate or graduate) or recent college graduate
• Education and/or experience in library science, archives, curation, museum studies, history, heritage resource management, data management, or related field preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to work effectively independently, as a team member, and with the public
• Proficient computer skills, including word processing and database programs
• Must be able to lift 30 lbs on a regular basis
• Upon appointment, intern must successfully pass a background check